”Somewhere out there” – a piece of Finnish military history. This private home museum is a tribute to the veterans who fought to maintain Finnish independence. The museum holds a display of wartime items, a Lotta canteen (Lotta Svärd was a Finnish voluntary auxiliary organisation for women), a trench, a bunker, guns, a field hospital, a bomb shelter, etc. The museum is open to groups by advance reservation all year round.
The Lohja Museum, founded in 1911, is situated near the medieval church, in the cultural-historically valuable vicarage area. In addition to the main building that dates to the 1860s, the museum area includes many buildings among the lush, green park areas with old oaks as well as a beautiful garden with apple trees. The yard is divided into two parts, the yard for men and the cattle yard. The yard for men is dominated by the main building designed by August Boman. The standing exhibition of the main building describes e.g. the Lohja manor culture. To the right of the yard for men is the curate‘s (auxiliary parson) building from 1780. There is a summer café, Café Leinilä, in the other end of the building. The home of the estate steward separates the yard of men from the cattle yard. The interior of the building presents living in the countryside from the beginning of the 1900s to 1930. A typical working-class dwelling from 1940s and 50s is presented in the other end of the building. There is a collection of carts and sleighs from the Vaanila manor in the attic of the barn.
The Paikkari Croft is where Elias Lönnrot (1802-1884), one of the great men of his time, was born and where he spent his childhood. The Paikkari Croft was built by Lönnrot‘s father, who was a tailor, around 1800 on the common grounds of the village of Haarjärvi. In 1889, the Finnish senate declared the croft as a historical landmark to protect the memory of the early years of the national hero. The oldest part of the croft is the main room, which was later supplemented with a vestibule and a chamber. In the main room, you can see Lönnrot‘s cradle and his kantele (a traditional Finnish zither) stained in black. There are objects that Lönnrot used and made himself on exhibition in the chamber: a writing stand, a manuscript stand, and a bookcase.
Paikkari Croft is open for public from June till mid August wednesday to sunday 11:00 – 17:00. Closed on Midsummer holiday
Senior and more than 10 person groups 3€
Children (7-16 yrs.) 0 €
Guidance in summer opening hours 50 €/h, other times 70 €/h
Something for the whole family. The Kovela museums exhibit a variety of farm machinery, displaying technological developments in agriculture over the past decades. One who fails to know the past, fails to understand the present.
The Tractor Museum is open all year round,
+358 50 370 3916
019 373 311
The Tytyri mine museum was opened in May 1988. The museum is situated in the original area, a mine still in operation, 110 metres below sea level. The visitors may experience the genuine feeling of mines in the coll and damp mine galleries. In the mining work-shop, visitors may get acquainted with mining tools used in the mines: the drills, the dumper and mine trucks. Seeing the 100 metre-wide and 100 metre-deep underground mine gives a good picture of the huge size of limestone mine.
Lammi, where Lönnrot spent his old age, is located only four kilometres from the Paikkari Croft. Lönnrot lived in Lammi during 1876-1884. This is where he finished, among others, the Finnish- Swedish dictionary in 1880, which was his third major work. Lönnrot purchased Lammi so that he could concentrate on his writing.
The house is an interesting combination of an old traditional chimneyless hut and a 19th century upper class home. In Lammi you will get to see artefacts belonging to Lönnrot. The tour is made vivid by competent guidance. Both in the house and in its surroundings, you will be able to experience the atmosphere of Lönnrot‘s time Lammi, together with J.L.Runeberg‘s house in Porvoo, was the first building in Finland to be declared a historical landmark and granted protection by a building protection law because of its important personal history. Its surroundings were nominated as cultural sight with nation-wide importance.
10.6.-20.8.2017 Sat-Sun 12:00-17:00
May-Septer open to groups.